Instructions for Taking Famciclovir
Herpes in People With HIV
One study compared famciclovir to oral acyclovir (Zovirax®) for treating herpes simplex infections, such as cold sores or genital herpes, in people with HIV. This study showed that famciclovir is just as good as acyclovir for treating these conditions.
Some general considerations for when and how to take famciclovir include the following:
- Famciclovir comes in tablet form and is taken by mouth. For some uses, it is taken every day; for other uses, it is taken just for a day or for a week.
- Famciclovir can be taken with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Make sure to take famciclovir as your healthcare provider prescribes.
The dose of famciclovir your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The condition being treated
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Famciclovir Dosing for more information.)