Important Instructions for Gabapentin
Gabapentin Dosing for Postherpetic NeuralgiaWhen treating postherpetic neuralgia (chronic nerve pain following an episode of shingles), the recommended starting dose is gabapentin 300 mg taken once on the first day, gabapentin 300 mg taken twice daily on the second day, and gabapentin 300 mg taken three times daily on the third day. In order to control your pain, your healthcare provider may further increase your dose as necessary.
General Information on Dosing With GabapentinConsiderations for people taking gabapentin include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule and tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually one to three times daily.
- For people with difficulty swallowing tablets or capsules, a liquid form of gabapentin (called gabapentin solution) is also available.
- The medication can be taken with or without food. If gabapentin upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Gabapentin should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Gabapentin will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to gabapentin dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Neurontin Withdrawal).