Serious and Rare Gabapentin Reactions to Watch For
Serious Gabapentin Side EffectsSome side effects of gabapentin, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- Severe dizziness, confusion, or coordination problems that do not improve with time
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- Unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
Suicidal thinking or behavior (see Seizure Medications and Suicide).
Rare Gabapentin Side EffectsRare side effects of gabapentin occurred in less than 1 percent of people taking the drug. Because these side effects are so uncommon, it can be difficult to tell whether they are actually caused by gabapentin or by factors unrelated to the medication.
Some of these less common side effects include, but are not limited to:
- Weight loss
- "Hangover" effect
- High cholesterol
- Hiatal hernia
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Thyroid problems (including hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism)
- Sexual problems (see Neurontin Sexual Side Effects)
- Sensitivity to the sun
- Kidney stones.