It is possible to overdose on Gralise (extended-release gabapentin). If too much of this drug is taken, it may cause symptoms such as double vision, coordination problems, and slurred speech. However, the specific effects would depend on how much of the drug was taken and whether it was combined with other medications. Treatment may include pumping the stomach and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Gralise?Gralise™ (extended-release gabapentin) is a prescription medication approved to treat nerve pain that occurs after a case of shingles (postherpetic neuralgia). As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Gralise.
The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Gralise dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseIf a person takes a Gralise overdose, the symptoms can vary. Some commonly reported symptoms of an overdose with this drug include:
- Coordination problems
- Difficulty breathing
- Drooping eyelids
- Double vision
- Slurred speech
Life-threatening symptoms are more likely to occur if Gralise is combined with alcohol or other medications.
Treating a Gralise OverdoseIf the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Dialysis may also be helpful for removing Gralise from the blood.
In addition, treatment may involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive care for a Gralise overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Close monitoring of heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Gralise.