As with most medications, it is probably possible to overdose on the Lidoderm patch (lidocaine patch). However, this is most likely to occur with pets or children, who might chew on a patch (even used patches contain enough of the medication to cause serious harm). Make sure to seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have taken too much of this medicine.
Can You Use Too Much Lidoderm?The Lidoderm® patch (lidocaine patch) is a prescription medication approved to treat postherpetic neuralgia (pain after a case of shingles). As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Lidoderm. The specific effects of an overdose could potentially be dangerous but would vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Lidoderm dosage and how it was taken (applied to the skin or taken by mouth).
If you or someone else may have taken a Lidoderm overdose, please seek immediate medical attention.
Effects of a Lidoderm OverdoseSerious effects are probably more likely if the medication is taken by mouth (since only a fraction of the medication is absorbed throughout the body when it is applied to the skin). This is probably most likely to occur with pets or young children, who might try to chew on the patch. Due to this risk, the patches should always be stored safely out of the reach of pets and children.
Additionally, the used patches should be folded in half and disposed out of the reach of children and pets -- the used patches still contain enough lidocaine to cause serious harm.
Some of the most serious effects of an overdose with an anesthetic (like Lidoderm) include:
- Slow, shallow, or irregular breathing
- Changes in heart rate
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).