Shingles Home > Qutenza Overdose
As with any medication, it is probably possible to overdose on Qutenza (capsaicin 8% patch). Although no cases of an overdose have been reported, overdose symptoms would likely include possible side effects of the medication (such as burning and high blood pressure). If you believe you may have overdosed, seek immediate medical attention.
Can You Use Too Much Qutenza?Qutenza™ (capsaicin 8% patch) is a prescription medication approved to treat postherpetic neuralgia (nerve pain after a case of shingles). As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Qutenza. The specific effects of a Qutenza overdose are largely unknown and would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Qutenza dosage and how exactly it was taken.
Effects of a Qutenza OverdoseNo cases of an overdose with this medication have been reported. However, it is expected that any of the usual Qutenza side effects (such as pain, burning, and high blood pressure) would occur. It is unknown if other, more serious effects would occur.
What Are the Treatment Options?There is no antidote for a Qutenza overdose. If too many patches are applied, the patches should be immediately removed, and the skin should be cleansed with the included cleansing gel.
Treatment should involve supportive care, which would include treating any of the overdose symptoms that occur (such as high blood pressure).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Qutenza.