Shingles Home > Important Instructions on Taking Valacyclovir
When and How to Take This DrugGeneral considerations for when and how to take valacyclovir include the following:
- The medication comes in caplet form. Depending on the type of infection, it is usually taken one, two, or three times a day
- Valacyclovir works best if started at the first signs of an outbreak. It may not work if taken too late.
- Your dosage can be taken with or without food.
- Valacyclovir should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Valacyclovir will not work if you stop taking it.