Shingles Home > Zostavax Dosage
There is only one recommended Zostavax dosage -- 0.64 mL. Although most people only need one injection, it is possible that a booster vaccination may be recommended in the future. Your Zostavax dose is given as a single injection, just under the skin on the upper arm. Studies show that the medication can help prevent shingles for at least four years.
There is only one standard dose of Zostavax® (shingles vaccine), regardless of your age, weight, or other medical conditions or medications.
Zostavax Dosing for Shingles PreventionZostavax is given as an injection just under the skin of the upper arm. The amount of the vaccine injected is small, just 0.65 mL. Currently, only one dose of Zostavax is recommended, but it is possible that a "booster" vaccination may be recommended in the future. Studies have shown that Zostavax helps prevent shingles for at least four years; it is not known if it will work longer.
Zostavax is approved only for individuals age 50 and older.
Considerations for people taking Zostavax include the following:
- Zostavax is given as a single injection, just under the skin of the upper arm.
- It does not matter if you receive your Zostavax injection on a full or empty stomach.
- If your healthcare provider recommends it, you may get your flu vaccine at the same visit.
- Let your healthcare provider know if you are sick or not feeling well before the vaccine, as it may be best to postpone it until you are feeling better.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Zostavax dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.