Instructions for Taking Valacyclovir
General Valacyclovir Dosage InformationSome considerations for people taking valacyclovir include the following:
- Valacyclovir should be taken at the first sign of an outbreak. It works best if taken as early as possible. In fact, it may not work if taken too late.
- Valacyclovir should be taken at the same time each day.
- If you do not take your valacyclovir as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not double the dose of valacyclovir.
- Your valacyclovir dosage can be taken with or without food. If valacyclovir bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For valacyclovir to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Valacyclovir will not work if you take it differently than your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to valacyclovir or your valacyclovir dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking valacyclovir without discussing it with your healthcare provider first.
- The dose of valacyclovir is decreased for people who have poor renal function (kidney function). If you have kidney problems, ask your healthcare provider about which dose of valacyclovir you should be taking.